Monday, May 3, 2010

Nanna & Pock's Visit

So, as usual, I'm totally behind on blogging. I'm going to attempt to get caught up over the next 24 hours... so bear with me & all of my upcoming posts!

My Mom & Dad (Nanna & Pock, as my kids know them) came to visit April 21-25. Justin was in Dallas that entire week, so they came down mid-week and stayed through the weekend. It was my Dad's first visit down here in a year & a half, so we were all excited to get him back to Texas! We had a great time with them here... and yet, I didn't seem to snap one picture of them. We stayed so busy that I never seemed to pull my camera out at the perfect times. Oh well.. maybe they'll be back again soon to visit again!!

While they were here, I hunted down a new inflatable water slide for the kids. I had found one a few years back at a garage sale for a whopping $5 and Austin slid & slid on that slide until it finally gave out last summer (we got 3 summers out of it, so I can't complain too much). Justin & I knew that we had to replace it because it's a great way for the kids to play out in the hot summer sun & not sweat to death... Well, I found one on Craigslist during the week that Mom & Dad were here, talked the sellers down to a really great price, and went to pick it up! Ends up that "Nanna & Pock" had given Kaylee some birthday money, so we counted this as a joint gift from them & from us! The kids LOVE it... okay, more Austin than Kaylee right now, but I'm sure she'll grow more accustomed to it as the days go by....



Highlights of Mom & Dad's trip:
  • Austin got to show Pock his preschool & introduce him to his teacher, Mrs. Lisa
  • Austin got to show off his mad soccer skills when he had soccer lessons on the Friday morning that Nanna & Pock were here. (Pretty sure they'd never seen anything like it before!)
  • Mom & Dad took the kids on two different afternoons to the park or out to run errands so I could get some much-needed homework done. It was AMAZING how much work I got done in just 1-2 hours of the kids being gone. And, I totally mean AMAZING!!
  • Mom got to go hit some garage sales with me (and Justin, who decided he wanted in on the fun too) on Saturday morning. We didn't find anything spectacular, but had a great time. (Though I did snag a basically brand new Cabbage Patch Doll for $1!)
  • We all enjoyed dinner out at Chuy's on Saturday & ate until we couldn't eat any more!
  • Austin & Kaylee wormed around and got Nanna & Pock to buy them both quite a few new toys (and candy) while they were visiting!
  • We all watched "The Blind Side" one night -- such a great movie!!
  • I made & introduced them to Tres Leches cake, and Mom made & introduced me to the easiest, strangest & yet most delicious Apple Dumplings dessert I've ever tasted!
The last night they were here, we sat outside & enjoyed watching the kids have fun.



We had a great time & I'm crossing my fingers that Dad will be back before another 19 months passes by again. Mom would be here on a monthly basis if Dad would let her, so I know that it's him that I really have to continue to work on! He just has such a hard time leaving the farm for any period of time... which I understand. Regardless, it was a great time & I'm looking forward to their next visit already!

No comments: