Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Caribbean Cruise 2011 - part 1

We got back from a Caribbean cruise a couple of weeks ago.  Here's the lowdown:

So, we treated ourselves to another couples cruise this year.  We went with our best friends, Brian & Leslie (just like last time)... and went on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas ship (just like last time)... and went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica (just like last time).  I will say there was a nice feeling to being familiar with the ship, ports & such... and we were all ready for a week of relaxation on the high seas!

We arrived to Galveston on Sunday early afternoon & met Brian.  He had completed a half Ironman competition that morning & we snagged him up & headed toward the ship.  Granted, it wouldn't have been a true boarding experience without some sort of issue, and that issue was in my lap this time -- we booked my cruise ticket as Amber Ham... while my passport (which was required to board) read Amber Pugh.  After about 10 minutes of uncertainty & our travel advisor speaking to the "higher-ups", they changed my name in the system & I traveled under my maiden name.  (Remind me next time to get my passport updated before a major trip... what a hassle!)

We were quick to go check out our rooms & then start enjoying the ship!  We set sail at 5pm and were so excited to start our vacation!

On Monday, we were at sea all day, so we had made plans to lay out on the deck, relax... and relax some more.  And that's exactly what we did...


Monday night was our first "formal night" where we all dressed up for dinner.  Here are some of my favorite pictures from the night:






Tuesday morning when we woke up, we were in COZUMEL!  This was our favorite port last time we cruised & we had some major plans this time around as well!


Last time, we rented scooters to explore the island on.  This time... we rented a Jeep!  Here are the guys renting it for the day... while Leslie & I sat & waited in the shade!


We got the Jeep, hopped in & were heading to the other side of the island before we knew it.  We found a great beach, pulled off on the side of the road & ran to the water, ready to sink our feet into the white sand & warm water.
On our way there, we saw the first of many gila monsters... if you've been to Cozumel,  you know how these things are everywhere!!



We got back in the Jeep, kept heading around the island & finally made it to the best beach on the entire island.  Deserted, quiet & awesome for snorkeling!  We all got our snorkeling gear on & enjoyed some snorkeling fun!




We all worked up quite an appetite while snorkeling, so we headed to our favorite restaurant on the island... Coconuts!  We had eaten there last time, overlooking the ocean, and knew we had to return.  They do not have electricity, so they cook everything over an open grill under their huge cabana "restaurant".  It's so laid back & relaxing there.  We also met another couple (who were actually on their honeymoon), Corey & Nae, who we ended up hanging out with on the ship as the week progressed.


On Wednesday, our destination was GRAND CAYMAN.  Look at this gorgeous, clear blue water.  I LOVE IT!!!
Last time we were there, we went & swam with the stingrays & none of us were really impressed, so we decided to go with an excursion that got cancelled on us last time.  SNUBA!


Snuba is like scuba diving, except you don't have to be certified.  Instead of diving with your oxygen tank on your back, the tank floats on a raft on the surface of the water & it is attached to a 20-30 foot hose that goes down to your regulator in your mouth.  So, we got geared up with regulators & goggles and headed out.  I was TERRIFIED!  For anyone that knows me, I hate the water, am not a good swimmer at all, and tend to panic every time I get in any depth that I can't touch in.  So, just the thought of being 20 feet below the surface kinda made me squirm.  Thankfully, I married a fish & he is calmer under water than he is on land, so he helped me keep my composure throughout the experience.
Our hoses did get tangled pretty early on, so we had to be shoulder to shoulder until we had both had enough -- Justin took off his regulator, untwisted our hoses & then we were set to explore on our own!  We saw a shipwreck under water & a gorgeous coral reef; lots of huge tarpin fish & tons of small yellow & blue fish.  It was amazing.  About 5 minutes before our excursion was over, I was finally getting the hang of it, but then it was done.  Oh well... at least I can say I did it!


After snuba, Leslie wasn't feeling well, so we decided to call it a day & head back to the ship. It was honestly relaxing to head back, still have the afternoon to nap, read my book & get ready for dinner.  The Caymans were beautiful... but we were needing a break from the sun!



On the first day on the ship, I started reading a book that Leslie let me borrow about 3 years ago.  She had read it & loved it... and passed it on to me.  I had great intentions on reading it, but I didn't... and then I started grad school.  Since then, the only things I have read are textbooks (and children's books to the kids).  So, I was determined to READ on the cruise.  I'm thankful to say that I read every single day on the cruise & just finished "The Pact" this past weekend while we were camping.  It was so nice to read something "real".  ha

After a relaxing afternoon on board, we got dressed & headed to dinner...


We were at a 6-top table & shared it with a couple from Dallas, Kenny & Charise.  They constantly cracked us up, and we were happy to share a fun week with them.


After dinner every single night, we'd head back to the room to hang out before heading to the regular show in the huge "La Scala Theater" -- some nights, it would be a comic, or their Broadway singers/dancers, or something of the sort.  We usually also stopped by the piano bar & sang songs with Phil -- he was an AMAZING pianist & we had a blast listening to him & signing along.  The highlight was when Leslie & I got up and sang "You Don't Have To Call Me Darlin'" with him... it was certainly a hit (though we have no pictures to prove it!).  After the piano bar was the casino or hanging out in one of their many lounges, etc.

Thursday was JAMAICA!!  Last time, our port was Montego Bay.  Since then (which was 2009), Royal Caribbean has built a private port only for their ships in Falmouth.  So, we docked at this new port... and I can say none of us were impressed.  They had built an area that was very touristy -- lots of street vendors all aimed at selling to the Americans getting off the ship.  The kicker is that it was totally fenced in; the buildings were beautiful and very nice.  Just outside of the fenced-in port area were the slums.  It was insane.  
They did provide us with a free ride about 20 minutes up the road to a "shopping area", which was basically just a bunch of American stores that had jacked up their prices about 4 times the amount we could buy it here in the states.  So far... we were not impressed.
We kept asking for assistance, but all of the Jamaican tour guides we talked to "did not advise" us to catch a cab & go exploring on our own.  We finally decided that we REALLY wanted to see Jamaica -- not the tourist trap Jamaica, but the real thing.  We found an amazing cab driver named Clinton, and for $40 each, he would stay with us the rest of the day, shuttling us to wherever we wanted to go.  Worked good for us!
He drove us to Montego Bay where we went to a nice beach for some more snorkeling...



(...to be continued...)

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Jamaica is one of my very favorite places! I really think it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been! Awwwww....I want to be there now! Your trip looks fabulous and you....You are a little hottie! Love your dresses for formal night! Yay for adult time!

Anonymous said...

How did you get the kids to your parents? Did you drive up there and then all the way back?