Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Austin's Swimming Lessons

Last Monday marked the first day of Austin's swimming lessons.  He's in the "beginning toddler" class & there are about 14 other kids learning the basics with him.  Since it's a very beginner level class, the parents are required to be in the water with the kids during the lessons; Justin helped him through his first week as I sat outside of the pool fence with Kaylee, watching from a distance.  (We learned early on that if Austin could see me, he wouldn't focus on learning to swim -- he was too concerned with saying "Hi" to me & wanting to come over & see me.  So, I've learned to hide outside of the pool fence to where I can see him, but he can't see me!)

This week, Justin is on a business trip, so I've had
 to step in & enjoy swim lessons with Austin (our wonderful neighbors have stepped up & are doing the sitting outside of the fence with Kaylee this week!).  Our lesson got rained out last night, but he totally amazed me tonight; within 1 week, he has become totally fearless about jumping into the water!  It's great to watch!  He just lives to jump in & isn't scared anymore for his head to go underwater.  He is doing a GREAT job & totally has the kicking & the jumping thing down.  We just need to work on him remembering to close his mouth when he goes underwater; he gets choked up quite a bit & even let out a chlorine burp tonight (he thought it was hilarious, of course!).  

Here are a few pictures from his FIRST DAY of swim lessons last week, both outside of the pool & once he and Justin were starting lessons.  This Friday is his last day, so I'll update this site with new pictures of him being fearless in the water!!

No comments: