Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Family, Friends & Our Hogs

Last Thursday, we left Austin & headed north to Arkansas for the weekend.  Our beloved Hogs  (who were ranked #10 at the time) were playing the #1 team Alabama & we just HAD to be there to cheer on our Razorbacks!

We stopped in Waco for some dinner at "Health Camp", a local burger joint that has been serving up some majorly delicious burgers & shakes for over 60 years.  They have been voted one of the Top 10 burger joints in Texas for many years running, and we heard about the place on The Daytripper.  The place certainly did not disappoint!  The kids had some of the thickest, most delicious grilled cheese sandwiches while Justin & I both had burgers!  DELISH!  Plus, Justin had a Dr. Pepper, which was invented in Waco & still made close to Waco!



After filling our bellies, we journeyed on to my parents' house in Oklahoma where we called it a night.  They were out of town & in Colorado camping, but we settled in like it was our own home & enjoyed a good night of sleep.

The next morning, we woke up to rain, so we loaded the car back up & headed on toward Arkansas.... on our way into Fayetteville, I snapped this picture looking across the city.  The Goodyear blimp was in town for the big game, as you can see.  I always LOVE topping this hill on I-540 and seeing the University up on the hill.  Such a beautiful sight!



We headed on north... Bella Vista to be exact, where Justin's sister lives.  She made us a HUGE lunch of fresh-grilled burgers, the most delicious queso I've eaten in a while, jalepeno poppers, baked beans, and more.  To top it off, we even had homemade sugar cookies & cupcakes for dessert.  We were STUFFED to say the least; it was a delicious meal!  The kids got to play with her kids & we all got to relax & enjoy some family time.

Late afternoon, we drove to Berryville to Justin's parents house & enjoyed some Good Times Pizza for dinner (cheddar & bacon - my favorite!).  I also splurged & got a vanilla Mountain Dew, which is a "must-drink" when I'm in Berryville!  We spent the night in their newly-built cabin that night, which was a nice treat -- it was like being on vacation, which was wonderful!

Saturday morning, Justin got up & ran 4 miles in his parents' field while I stayed in bed all cozy & warm.  We had breakfast with Justin's grandparents & cousin, then we headed on to Fayetteville for the big game.  We had lots of people to see, so we hit the ground running (and we still didn't get to see everyone we wanted to!).  While we were walking toward our friends' tailgating area, I looked up & saw Valerie tailgating at her own place with her friends.  We have been friends since just after birth, and she ordered this adorable tank dress from me last week; isn't she so cute in it?  (I made my dress too, so we had to get a picture together!)


We met up with our friends, Derrick & Emmie, got to visit with them a bit, and then I left Justin with them while I walked on down Razorback Road looking for my old roommate, Melissa.  I hadn't seen her for SEVEN years, so I was excited!  She is dating her college boyfriend again, Cody, who was Justin's first roommate in the AGR House, so it was like old times when we got together!  (I just wish Justin would have gotten to visit with us too!)


After visiting with Melissa & Cody, I rushed back to find Justin & we headed to the stadium.  We sat in my parents' season seats, which are the same seats I grew up sitting in as a kid; great memories of lots of Razorback games in those seats!!  And, of course, the blimp circled the stadium during the entire game on Saturday....


Oh, how I love this sight... there's nothing like being back in Fayetteville, on campus, surrounded by thousands of excited Razorback fans.  I love this place!!

And, this guy was sitting down a few rows in front of us.  After 6 1/2 years of living in Texas, I'm trying hard to somewhat enjoy the Longhorns, but when this is what you're used to while growing up... it's hard to just let it all go!  (ha)


The game was totally thrilling, to say the least.  Within the first 50 seconds, the Hogs scored a touchdown & the place went totally insane!  Justin & I both talked about how we had never been to another Hogs game where we stayed on our feet so much... we barely even sat down!  And my throat hurt SO bad from yelling so much, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Halftime score... Arkansas 17.... Alabama 7.  Oh, how I loved that scoreboard!


During halftime, we decided to try to get a good self-portrait.  After about 4 tries, we got this one, which turned out decent.  :)


From our seats in the stands, you used to be able to look directly over at the AGR House, the fraternity house where I met Justin and where my brother also lived.  The University and AGR are still going round & round, but last year the University dozed the faternity house... and it is now a tailgating area for alumni who give the University lots of money.  It's just sad to think how many memories that so many AGR & UA students have in that house, and how it's just gone now... here's the picture looking over to where the house used to stand.


During halftime, my childhood friend, Melissa (who also has season tickets on our row) came over to chat with me, and then after the game, we had to get a picture together.  I love this girl... she's always been just like a little sister to me!


While we were busy at the game, the kids were having a BLAST!  Justin's Dad took them fishing in Kings River by their house & Austin caught FOUR fish!  He was so excited.  Pawpaw cut them up & Mimi cooked them for dinner, and apparently Austin totally chowed down on them!  I love that they got to have this experience this past weekend!!



We got back to Berryville late on Saturday night (after being trapped in our parking spot for 1 1/2 hours and then sitting in traffic for 1 hour trying to get away from campus) & the kids were already asleep, so we headed to the cabin to rest ourselves.

Sunday morning, we loaded the car & ate breakfast in Eureka Springs on our way out of town.  We stopped by Rudy where I was raised to see my Aunt Leon, who babysat me & my brother growing up.  She will be 97 in November & is still doing really well.  She needs a wheelchair to get around most of the time, but her memory is still 110% there -- she amazes me how she never forgets a thing!  I love her so much & she always loves seeing the kids when we stop by (and the kids love playing in her wheelchair too!)...





After a few hours at Aunt Leon's, we headed back to my parents' house for the evening.  Austin & Kaylee helped Uncle Brian & Aunt Rachel in the garden & around the farm, and we had some yummy pizza before calling it a day.

We got up on Monday morning & left and were back home to Round Rock by 4:30 that afternoon.  By 4:45, I was hitting the pavement & running my 7 miles that I had been putting off all weekend, but thankfully got it completed in the beautiful weather that we were having.

We had a great trip back home visiting with family & friends, and had a wonderful time getting to see our Hogs in action.

WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE... RAZORBACKS!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love that I made your Blog!! It's about time.

Rebekah said...

Can you believe two years in Waco and I never visited health camp?!?! Glad you had a fun trip to Arkansas!