Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snow Day!

We woke up on Tuesday morning to rain, sleet & snow hitting the ground. Justin had the day off & I had to go to Hutto High School to get a few hours of student teaching under my belt for one of my classes this semester. Throughout the morning, the rain & sleet eventually stopped, which just left a beautiful snowfall that I've never witnessed before at our home here in Texas. We ended up getting right about 2" of snow! WOW!!

The schools all let out right after lunch, so I was home by 2:00 and ready to enjoy the snow with my family! When I got home, I HAD to take a picture of our house covered in snow...


Then I found Austin out in the back yard enjoying the snow too! (He had just gotten home from school & asked Justin if he could go play in the snow -- and that's exactly what he was doing!)



It flurried most of the day. But a few hours after I had gotten home, I looked out the window & was amazed to see the biggest snowflakes I think I've ever seen! It was BEAUTIFUL and so calm and peaceful outside as the snow was falling. We, once again, all got bundled up & headed out to do some more playing in the snow!


Kaylee was most certainly not a fan of the snow -- she didn't like how wet it was, how cold it was, how it fell from the sky & hit her in the face/head... so needless to say, she didn't "play" out in it very much. (You can see her on the front porch in this next picture with her little pink coat on... she was crying for me to come back to the porch & take her inside, but I just HAD to get a picture of the house in the middle of the snow!) But Austin played enough for both of them. He was outside for hours that afternoon just enjoying this rare central Texas occurrence.


I know this snow is really nothing major to a lot of our friends/family back in Arkansas & Oklahoma; they have really gotten hit hard this winter with multiple snow storms and it probably feels like the springtime will never arrive. But to us central Texas folks, this is a big deal! This was the most snow this area has seen in about 25 years (or so I heard on TV). It is funny to me that school was let out early (and late start the next morning) because of this minor amount of snow... guess that's a perk of living where people aren't comfortable with this type of precip!!

Needless to say, yesterday it got up into the 50's, so all of the snow quickly melted off. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.... Below is a video I took of our "snow day" as well. Hope you all enjoy!



No comments: