
Well, I'm within 5 weeks of being done with my half marathon training for 2009/2010. I must say that I haven't had that "burnt out" feeling this year like I always have in the past. I usually can't wait to finish my races so I can hang up my shoes & not run again for 6 months until my next training program starts in the fall. This year is different... I plan on continuing to run a few days a week throughout the spring & summer, coupled with weight training at the gym. We'll see what a difference it makes with my body.
This morning was quite the run. 12 miles in the FREEZING COLD. When I say freezing cold, I mean it was 15 degrees when I woke up at my house, and 12 degrees when I met up with my group at a local park to start running. I guess the more correct thing to say is BELOW FREEZING COLD!
So first, let me tell you how much I LOVE my new running tights. I am the girl that said she'd NEVER buy skin-tight running tights no matter how many other people I see wearing them while running. Well, I broke down this year & bought myself a pair & I LOOOOOVE them! No cold air going up my legs when I'm running, and I actually FEEL like a real runner when I have them on! That feeling is priceless when you have a long distance to go!!I had on LOTS of Dri-Fit layers this morning. I wore my favorite running tights (once again, LOVE them!), then another pair of semi-tights over them. I had on my sports bra, a long-sleeve shirt, a pullover shirt & a jacket. Gloves. Ear warmers. Extra warm socks. Running shoes. And it was STILL cold for the first mile or so!
After mile 1, I couldn't feel my face anymore, and I'm not really sure when I quit feeling my fingertips & toes, but at one point I realized the feeling was gone. I had an awesome running partner who is training for a 20 miler with her brother, Christi Massey. She is amazing at helping me pace myself & not wearing myself out way too early... pacing myself for a great finish is what I've been working on this year & she certainly has it figured out! My regular running partner, Christa, decided not to run in the cold, so I was so happy to hear that Christi was coming to meet me & I wasn't going to be out there alone!
The 12 miles went by pretty quickly. We did laugh quite a bit about the frozen bottles of water that we'd see people carrying (including Christi herself!), or how we couldn't feel our faces, or how the thermoses of water they have set out along the course for us to hydrate were frozen as well. Great times...
One of the best things I saw all morning was the steam rising off of the runners as they'd complete their runs. Something about the sun rising & the runners' heat rising off of them in 12 degree weather was just AMAZING. (Below is a pic I found online where you can kinda see it, but this morning was even better! Wish I would've had my camera!) One guy even had a "sweatcicle" (as he called it) coming off his hat; he had run with his hat backwards, and sweat had dripped off the bill of his hat & formed an icicle of sweat! That's dedication to get out there in those conditions!!
We completed the 12 mile run in 1 hour, 57 minutes & 11 seconds. That's a 9:45 pace! That's the fastest pace I've done all year!! I was so excited & Justin could hardly believe me when I told him!! I'm working on setting my goals for both of my half marathon races I have coming up, so hopefully I'll be able to kick some major butt this year!!
Stay tuned for more updates on my running... and pictures from our races soon!!


1 comment:
You crack me up...I do not know how you do it!!!!! I guess that's why you look so hot in those running tights and I I would not be caught dead with my big hinnie in them! I am so proud of you!
Post a Comment