This past Saturday marked the beginning of our running season again -- the race "5K For Clay". I always use that race as the kick-off for the season by not running 1 minute before that day, and then always trying to beat my time from the year before.
The race started at 8:00 am, and Justin & the kids were all there to cheer me on (Austin even had a "Go Mom Go" sign that Justin had made that morning!). The run went OK, seeing as how I hadn't run at all in 6 months since the Austin half-marathon; I did quickly remember that my new shoes gave me blisters though, so I had major flashbacks of my 13.1 miles in downtown Austin with huge blisters on my feet & the finish line no where in sight! -ha-
I finished the race in just over 37 minutes, placing 8th in my age division. I beat my time from last year, which was my only goal for this year. I see I have lots of work to do this year since I was a little over 12 minutes a mile -- I'd like to get down under 11 minutes a mile before the half marathons in early 2010.

Round Rock Fit, our marathon training group, starts this upcoming Saturday. It's a 26-week training program to get ourselves ready for the 3M Half Marathon in January & then the Austin Marathon on Valentine's Day of 2010. I'm running with my training group again this year while Justin will stay home with the kids; he's going to train on his own, but he's still planning on running both halves with me. I have such a love/hate relationship with running, so at this moment, I'm excited about starting up again, but I know I'll hit a wall come November or December & I'll be ready to be done. But I honestly must say that finishing a half-marathon (or two) every year is definitely quite an accomplishment & we have the medals to prove it! :)

2 comments:
I still marvel at the fact that you started running after Kaylee was born. Have I ever told my friend Amber that she is amazing?!?! Not only is she super mom, the most thoughtful person EVER, hostess with the mostess, but you freakin run half marathons, too!
do you get a medal just for finishing the 1/2?
Post a Comment