Big changes are here. They've been on the horizon for months (maybe even years), but it's now here. Yikes.
I have been blessed with a hard-working husband that found it very important for me to stay home with our kids & raise them. When we found out we were pregnant with Austin over 6 years ago, he quickly told me that he wanted me to be a stay-at-home Mom; that had never crossed my mind because I had assumed we both needed to work to provide for our family and our lives. His Mom stayed at home when he was growing up -- mine went back to work when I was 6 weeks old. Does that make one better than the other? Absolutely not; it's just what my Mom had to do to make ends meet for our family. Staying home was something they couldn't afford, and because of that, I was blessed with a 3rd "grandma", my Aunt Leon, who babysat us for all of those years. (She is 97 years old now & as close to me as my own grandmothers...)
So, when Justin told me his proposition for me to be a SAHM, I was hesitant. I hadn't started my "career" yet & had honestly had a hard time finding a job here in Austin, so it wasn't like I was leaving my "dream job"... but I wasn't sure what I was going to do all day if I were to stay home.
Little did I know that being a SAHM is a full-time job (actually more than full-time, but you catch my drift). So, I quit my job at the end of August in 2005, and Austin was born only about 1 1/2 weeks later. I've been a SAHM ever since.
Granted, I have worked from home for the past 5 1/2 years; I was so blessed to find an amazing company to work for from home, Neighborhood News. I don't think I could have found a better set of bosses, coworkers & friends to work with. I worked 10-15 hours a week (from home) & they made it clear from my first day that family came first. And, honestly, in this day in age, when is THAT the first thing a new job tells you. But, that's what they did & that's what they still continue to stand by. If my kids were sick, they didn't want me working -- they wanted me being a Mommy to my kids & helping them get better. They never complained when I was gone on trips with my family. When I had to go to our corporate office for meetings (such as this past Tuesday), they encouraged me to bring the kids so they could see them & they could play with the other kids that were there "working" with their Mommies. What a MAJOR blessing in my life. I'll never be able to express my gratitude to Susan, Roz & the entire NNews gang -- I love you all & will miss you greatly.
Yep - today was my last day with them. It's been very bittersweet. They found an amazing girl to take my place & I wholeheartedly know she is going to kick some major bootie.
But... my security blanket is gone.
I start teaching school in 3 short weeks.
Austin starts Kindergarten in 4 weeks.
Kaylee starts full-time preschool in 3 weeks.
And today was my very last day at home with my kids as a stay-at-home Mom.
(Our next 2 weeks are a whirlwind of trips, my graduation, and more trips...)
Where have these past 6 years gone? In the beginning, my days were filled with a sleeping baby, plenty of playtime & afternoon naps. Austin was an amazing baby & hardly any trouble. The days seemed long at times, but I enjoyed every minute of being home with him. I look back & think how easy & how laid-back those first few months (or really, years) were with him.
I became active in my local MOMS Club, met lots of local Mommy friends, went to tons of playgroups, outings, field trips, park playdates, afternoons at the pool, etc. Being able to connect with other Moms in my area was a God-sent blessing. I still consider my "MOMS Club friends" some of my good pals in the area -- friends that I know would do anything for me at the drop of a hat.
Kaylee was born & I suddenly had my hands full with an infant & a toddler, but those days were special as well. I learned to manage two kids, stay on top of my job, and still be a good housewife... and still made it a point to keep Austin involved in playgroups & outings so he wouldn't get bored at home with Mommy & baby. Things got harder, but I felt like my life was complete with the two kids I had always wanted. God is so good.
In the past 6 years, I was fortunate to be home with my kids every day. I got to hear their first words, see their first steps, comfort them when they were sad, nap with them while snuggling in the rocking chair, and see the excitement on their face when Daddy got home at the end of every day. I've gotten to do so much more than so many of my friends have; so many of my friends who would give anything to stay home with their kids. And for that, I'm thankful. I'm thankful that Justin saw it such an important thing for me to stay home & raise our two kids. That he trusted me and valued the time that I got to spend with them each day. And, like I told him the other night (and on my blog a week or so ago), there's no way in the world I could ever repay him for the gift he's given me with these kids.
I have accepted a job to teach Nutrition classes at a local high school. I have a great classroom & will be part of a great team of fellow FCS teachers. I'll be teaching what I love & what my background is in.
...but my heart will always be with my kids.
...and I'll always be thinking how lucky I have been to be home with them for as long as I have.
...and I'll always be wishing for those days back when we'd sit on the couch right when they wake up in the morning, snuggling under a blanket & watching "Curious George" with their sleepy eyes & bed heads.
I am lucky.
I am blessed.
And I am thankful.
Life is good... God is good.
I'm sure I'll drop Austin off at his first day of Kindergarten with tears in my eyes... then drop Kaylee off at her preschool with tears as well.
I'm a Mom -- what else am I supposed to do but cry at moments like these?
These kids are my life. These kids are amazing.
And I cherish every day I've gotten to be home with them.
All 2,181 days.
All 2,181 amazing, fun-filled, I-wouldn't-trade-them-for-anything days.
Here's to the future, and for what it holds for my family.

3 comments:
Please pass the tissue. Sniff, Sniff. Being able to stay home is an amazing gift that our husbands give us. I'm glad you got to spend so much time and home and I am so excited for you to now be off in the working world once again. Don't worry about those cuddle moments, you'll still get them. Saturday and Sunday mornings are wonderful for bed-head hair-do's and snuggle times. And of course you'll have the school holidays to snuggle as well. Congratulations girl and good luck on the new adventure.
So sweet!
This is the best post EVER! I don't even have words to comment but I couldn't agree with you more. As hard it is some days and as much as I feel like I fail at being a SAHM and wife, nothing, NOTHING, is more precious to me! Your heart is so pure and I love how thankful you are to Justin for allowing you this opportunity. It was refreshing and I needed it! So congrats! You will be a great teacher just like you have been a great stay at home mom and just like you are a great wife and a great friend!
Post a Comment