Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's so hard for me to wrap my head around this one fact -- 
it's Christmas time again & 2010 is almost over.  
Wow... where has this year gone?  

I'm happy to say that our Christmas shopping is 99% done, gifts are wrapped, and we're looking forward to seeing our friends & family back home soon.  We've even had a chat with Santa & he has agreed to come see Austin & Kaylee here at our home in Texas this upcoming weekend... yes, almost 2 full weeks before Christmas day.  We've started this as  our Texas tradition -- opening gifts from Santa & one another the weekend before we drive back up to AR/OK to see our families.  The kids don't seem to mind... they get to open gifts super early & end up having THREE Christmases!  

Last night was the kids' Christmas program at their preschool.  Before we got ready for the big night, I snapped a few pictures around the tree -- here's sweet Kaylee cheezing it up for the camera.


And it's hard for me to believe that only two short years ago, this was our sweet little Kaylee on Christmas Eve.  This is one of my favorite ornaments on our tree -- a sweet reminder of the past.


And yet another sweet ornament from FIVE years ago -- Austin's first Christmas.  I love these sweet memories hanging on our tree & know that they'll continue being some of my favorite decorations every single year as the kids continue to grow.



Another tradition of ours is getting a new Christmas ornament every single year from somewhere that we go during the year.  This toy solider ornament, below, is the very first ornament that Justin & I bought as a married couple... on our honeymoon in Key West, Florida.  Every year that I get it out of our ornament box, it brings a smile to my face.  This is another ornament that I can continue seeing hanging on our tree 60+ years from now!



So, like I said, last night was the kids' Christmas program at their school.  We ate a quick dinner once Justin got home from work, got dressed & snapped a few pictures by our Christmas tree before we headed out the door...





The kids got to show Justin their classrooms and introduce him to their teachers; they were so excited to have Daddy at their school!  We left the kids in their classrooms with their teachers & went and got some seats in the auditorium to watch the show!

They started with a slide show of all of the kids, then proceeded with the toddler class, 2-year old classes, 3's, and then 4's.  Kaylee's group went second in line; none of my snapshots turned out very good, but here's a great little mash-up of 3 different videos I snapped on my camera.  Kaylee REALLY got into the "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" song at the very end -- check it out:



After the 3's sang, it was Austin's classes' turn.  He was standing in between Madison & Mackenzie, the most adorable twin girls I've ever met in my life.  Their Mom, Mindy, is Kaylee's teacher & I can honestly say that I have grown to love both her & her super sweet girls over the past few months.  Kaylee absolutely adores Ms. Mindy, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual!  
Austin wasn't near as excited about singing & acting out the words as M&M were.  But, he still made us proud, nonetheless.  Here's his little mash-up:




After the program was a cookie social (where the kids gorged themselves on cookies!), and then Austin got to sit in Santa's lap!  Kaylee loved the idea of having Santa at her school, but wasn't keen on sitting in his lap by any means!



We had a wonderful night with the kids & were so proud of how well both of them did.  It's crazy to think that next year, Austin will be in Kindergarten doing "big kid" things... but for now, I'm going to soak up every minute of his last year of preschool.

Pics to come soon after Santa visits our house this weekend... stay tuned!  ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful time with family. It is fun that by celebrating that way you spread out Christmas for the kids! Having so many gifts all in one day can be overwhelming...You have a sweet family. Merry Christmas!